Total Art Soul - for artists

" You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. "
C. S. Lewis
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

how to get good exposure besides galleries?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: how to get good exposure besides galleries?
how to get good exposure besides galleries? 8 Years, 9 Months ago  
how to get more exposure other than galleries?
katinascreations
katinascreations
katdomene.imagekind.com
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: how to get good exposure besides galleries? 8 Years, 8 Months ago  
Hi Katina. That's quite a question. There's a huge amount of things you can do, joining this site for a start. We give exposure to all our members.

If you wish to exhibit and not go through a gallery, you could organize your own shows. I used to do this with great success by using houses of friends and then inviting lots of people.

You could also contact your local Tourist Board as they usually have a budget to help local artists and they often show artists' work.

Be sure to have nice business cards that you hand out everywhere you go or leave in a few chosen places.

Don't hang out with other artists if you're trying to market yourself, they are not your target market.

Online you can find lots of free ways to drive traffic to your website and our marketing tutorials can help you with that.

Hope this helps.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Re:how to get good exposure besides galleries? 8 Years, 8 Months ago  
Check out www.deviantart.com and post your work there. You can add your website to your descriptions there also.

Matthew Nix
NixCreations
NixCreations
www.nixcreations.etsy.com
graphgraph
Jewelry Tutorials... www.createapendant.com
Work for Sale... www.nixcreations.etsy.com

Re:how to get good exposure besides galleries? 8 Years, 8 Months ago  
Oh lordy - there is so much you can do!

One of the very first things I did was to hang work in a local coffee house that shows local artists' work. I wrote a press release and sent it to the local paper and a year later, people were STILL saying they saw me in the paper.

Local small markets are a wonderful way to "brand' yourself. Our little town started a farmers market this past year and I attended all of them. I got good feedback on my booth display, met a LOT of people, made a lot of good networking connections and always stayed in the same booth space so people could find me again the following month.

Make sure you have a website!!!! <----- Make sure you have a website!!!! Did I mention: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WEBSITE.?

With that, make sure that what you post (paintings, etc) are searchable on search engines. Very important.

Find local papers and magazines that showcase art. I researched ours, checked it out for several months actually, and noticed that the information they posted was always the same. So I emailed the editor and lo-and-behold, my art and website are featured in their online magazine version. Right up there with the big dogs!

Make some noise! Advertise yourself and your work. PRESENT YOURSELF AS AN ARTIST and offer business cards to whomever you can. Make a brochure showing your work (this is really easy- pics in black and white) and people will go to see the work on your website in full color.

Have a portfolio and take it with you where ever you go- really. I mean that. You never know WHO you'll meet and have an opportunity to show your best work to. I've gotten commissions that way and invitations to do shows.

Last year I lost my job and decided enough was enough. I was tired of making money for others and that God gave me a talent to USE. Last year was my very first year selling and this year will be my first official "in business for myself" year. It is my job to market my work and I'll do whatever it takes to make my business grow.

If you genuinely believe in your art, then by all means, SHARE THAT ENTHUSIASM WITH OTHERS. You are your best advocate.

And I have to disagree with Cathy - I would definitely hang out with other artists (just not all the time). There is a wonderful sense of camaraderie and knowledge that can be shared. We learn from each other. Your turn to help out a newbie will come.

All the best and GOOD LUCK.
Jen
JenDonald
JenDonald
www.jendonald.com
graphgraph

Re:how to get good exposure besides galleries? 8 Years, 2 Months ago  
How do I find conventions and galleries in my area? Ive searched a little on google but havent really had any luck
Meltman
Meltman
graphgraph

Re:how to get good exposure besides galleries? 8 Years, 2 Months ago  
I'm not in your country but whenever I've turned up in a new region, I've gone through the Tourist Board and they've given me a list of all the local galleries.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Go to topPage: 1
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.