Total Art Soul - for artists

" Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. "
Pablo Picasso
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

This is a mademade waterfall
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: This is a mademade waterfall
This is a mademade waterfall 9 Years, 8 Months ago  
Located in a state park near Gaylord, Michigan. It was done in 1984, when I and 2 friends took a trip to Northern Michigan.
We all set our easels up on the rocks, separated enough so we couldn`t see each other`s painting. We started out by taking pictures, because we knew that it would be impossible to finish a painting there.
The other 2 artists were Bea Sturgis, who lives in Fla. now and was a Decorative painting teacher, and June Scott, who was at that time running and artists workshop in Flint, Michigan.
sandpiperrose
sandpiperrose
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:This is a mademade waterfall 9 Years, 8 Months ago  
oops, forgot to add the painting.

It needed to be resized. Sorry.
sandpiperrose
sandpiperrose
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/01/02 21:19 By sandpiperrose.

This is wonderful! I'm in awe of people who can paint beautiful scenery. I'm just no good at it. I get too caught up with tiny details and don't get the overall feel. Nice too that you painted with others. I really miss that. I live in a very isolated place. You'd love the scenery here! lol
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

It is very easy to get caught up in tiny details. I had the advantage of taking my trip with 2 art teachers. Bea is a tole painter, and she and I helped each other. I didn`t know how to control the oils and not get them muddy, and she didn`t have any confidence in her ability to draw, as she was used to using patterns for her tole painting. We often painted together and both of us benifited from it. She talked me into taking the workshop with June, but when I first started I felt like I had skipped a few steps in the learning process. June suggested I try using a palette knife for most of the waterfall painting, and it helped me to loosen up my strokes. That one and several others I did from the same trip were almost all done with a palette knife.
It is really very helpful to have someone to paint with. Bea and I lived around the corner from each other, and our teenage sons were friends. My son told me I needed to meet his friends mom, and eventually, we were taking turns painting at each others homes after the kids went to school at least 2 or 3 times a week.
sandpiperrose
sandpiperrose
graphgraph

How lovely! I really wish I could find someone to paint with. Years ago I used to go to a painting group and it really is amazing what you learn from others, even if their ability is beginner, they still have different ways of doing things that you may not have thought of.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Slightly off topic here, I have a cousin by the name of June Scott. She's far to young to have painted with you in '84 though. Had me going for a minute.

On topic, I know zero about painting; but I think this is lovely. It captures landscape features of the type I miss from growing up in Colorado near the Rockies, and my summer visits to Virginia lazing around the rivers.
Charon
Charon
stygianchains.etsy.com
graphgraph
Gender: Male Stygian Chains (Etsy) Location: USA Birthday: 08/13

Go to topPage: 123
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.