Total Art Soul - for artists

" The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art "
Albert Einstein
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

What painting 'materials' do you LOVE?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: What painting 'materials' do you LOVE?
Re:What painting 'materials' do you LOVE? 9 Years, 3 Months ago  
I've tried various mediums and I have to say that I love using acrylics the most because of the texture that you can get from it. But also that its versatility in that you can weaken the colour to get a watercolour effect.

I've tried oils but like acrylicimpressions I hate the smell of them and then the cleaning up and the waiting in between layers.

I don't get on with water colours in blocks and tubes but give me a set of Inktense water colour pencils and I'm a happy bunny - love them.

I also like using Caran d'Ache water soluble wax crayons especially on top of acrylic.

I always go back to acrylics though.
itsamistry
itsamistry
www.itsamistrydesignstudio.com/
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I've been mostly using acrylics for the past nine months and have grown to like them over time. (It's kind of a love/hate relationship actually.) They really are versatile and I like playing with them and the texture you can get. I especially prefer them for when I'm doing my owl paintings and other paintings in a similar style. I'm very fussy and prefer Liquitex soft body acrylics. Anything else drives me crazy. If I'm going to water them down and spray them, then fluid acrylics are fine.

But from the very first time I used oils, I fell in love with them. I prefer a very smooth, blended style and it's in this area that I struggle with the acrylics. But with the oils? It's brilliant. They're a bit more work, which is why I would slack off on using them. But having just started back up on them, I'm remembering why I loved them. And I'm so happy to be using them again. I use mostly M. Graham oils, but eventually I'd like to try a few other choices. Someday when I have more money.
quirkydame
quirkydame
www.quirkydame.com
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user

I love watercolors and have worked with this medium for years. I have recently discovered acrylic paints and I´m totally in love. Although a few years ago I bought a cheap set of acrylic paints and it was disasterous . I always use winsor and newton artist´s quality. A little pigment goes a long way. The color I use most is titanium white, I overpaint alot and it´s adequately opaque. I love the quck drying time of acrylics - when I get going, i like to paint quickly.

My problem is brushes - I use aquafine daler rowney for my rounds and they are just fine . I have tried many kinds of flat brushes - they are fine for a while but get worn out quickly with splayed ends. I don´t like hogs hair brushes - I would really appreciate some advice on good sythetic flat brushes.

Go to topPage: 12
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.