Total Art Soul - for artists

" Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. "
Pablo Picasso
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Formal Art Training or Self Taught
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1...121314...16
TOPIC: Formal Art Training or Self Taught
Re:Formal Art Training or Self Taught 9 Years ago  
Hi there,

I'm new to the site but I've been reading this thread with much interest. I'm so so happy to know that there are so many of you who are self taught, it gives me confidence to carry on with what I'm doing. I did a short course in oil paints recently and that's what got me back in to being creative again and I'm absolutely loving it. I stopped being creative when I left school and now I've just turned 40 .

I'm not sure I would go for formal training, probably not although short courses I find helpful for picking up useful hints and tips. That said, there's so many of you talented people out there who I'm sure would help in any case.

So thank you from me who I call a 'budding' artist.

Take care

Jude x
artbyjude
artbyjude
www.artbyjude.co.uk
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

It's nice to know that you're not the only one who has no formal training and can still create art that other people like and admire.
itsamistry
itsamistry
www.itsamistrydesignstudio.com/
graphgraph

Hey guys! Don't let Jude's lack of confidence fool you! She can paint!
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Wow, such an inspiring thread! I've taken classes and workshops here and there over the years, but haven't tried for a degree. I did take Drawing 101 at the local university and while I did learn a lot, I wasn't completely thrilled with it. I had some issues with the class.

Over the past couple of years, I've taken workshops at the art museum from a local artist, Linda Infante Lyons, and they've been such an awesome experience. I've learned quite a bit from her. While she shows us different techniques and tips, she respects each person's individual style and doesn't try to make us all paint the same way. It's very interesting to go around each time and see what each student has done. Such a wide range of styles. Linda's very encouraging and supportive. I'm about to start a new class with her tomorrow night - pet portraits in oils. I'm very excited!

So glad to hear from other artists that are self-taught (or mostly so) and to see that you can be successful without having a degree. I'm finding that I'm completely open to taking workshops or reading books, but I have no desire to go back to school full-time.

And to those who have been able to quit their 9 to 5 jobs, that's awesome. My goal is to keep working and growing in my art, hopefully being able to one day move down to a part job or, better yet, support myself through my art alone. I love hearing from others who have done the same, so inspiring.
quirkydame
quirkydame
www.quirkydame.com
graphgraph

Re:Formal Art Training or Self Taught 8 Years, 11 Months ago  
I do not consider formal education absolutely necessary... I suppose that it can aid in the development of one's practice and will, but it also exhibits the capacity to stifle as well.

I am presently a graduate student entering my third and final year. The first had been an incredibly shocking experience. I hadn't known quite what to expect. I really struggled with the notion of "What is art?" I thought that I had been blessed with a unique skill only to find out that it didn't matter. Anything could and would be considered art.

There exists a lot of what I would consider BS in the art world and I've come to the decision to ignore it all and continue doing what I enjoy doing. What matters most is that you enjoy what you are doing and that you are completely genuine in your practice.
laforc26
laforc26
www.heatherlaforce.com
graphgraph

Re:Formal Art Training or Self Taught 8 Years, 11 Months ago  
I agree with that sentiment laforc. I think having integrity and staying true to yourself is what is most important as an artist.

I think for young people though it is sometimes hard not to be swept along with what is happening around them and often I see art students all producing similar work. As a mature person I think you could be strong enough to keep focus but youngster I think struggle with that.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Go to topPage: 1...121314...16
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.