Total Art Soul - for artists

" Not all who wander are lost. "
J. R. R. Tolkien
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Formal Art Training or Self Taught
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1...456...16
TOPIC: Formal Art Training or Self Taught
Re:Formal Art Training or Self Taught 9 Years, 7 Months ago  
It's a good point to make Carol. There is only so much one can be taught. So much of our learning is picked up each time we sit at the easel.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Re:Formal Art Training or Self Taught 9 Years, 6 Months ago  
Totally self taught! I did art at school but you were so restricted then (showing my age!)by subject matter and medium.

I love to read about other techniques and sometimes try to emmulate them into my favourite medium of wax. Even tried a water colour class but felt so intimidated by the amazing talent around me that I soon dropped out. So, after many years I picked up a hot iron instead of a paint brush
onawhimsey
onawhimsey
http:artinthewax.blogspot.com
graphgraph

I think so much can be learned simply from experimenting. I think my technique of using string won't be something that will be taught! lol
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com

If you have an 'art gene' in you it will always find it's way out! I would get 98% in art and, in the same exams, 7% for science and don't talk to me about maths! There was no doubt which way my life would go!

I did a Foundation year at Art College in the Uk and a Fine Art degree in SA but was constantly frustrated by the professors attempts to change me into what they considered an 'Artist' to be.(My work was very representational, as it is now, and this didn't suit their image of art)

I have found, since coming back to painting after many years away form it, that the best way to learn is to study other artists and even copy work you admire. You learn a huge amount by actually emulating another pieces of work and learn technique this way quickly. I also devour art books, go to galleries and trawl websites.

One thing that was very good advice from a lecturer at Uni was; "You must look at images all day, look at books and fill your brain with resources to draw on". This has been one thing that has always stuck with me and I am sure he was right.

Having gone to Uni or college to 'learn' Art, does give you the bonus of being more appealing to some galleries but, does not necessarily make you a better artist.

A great book and course that I have always meant to look at and do is; "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' by Betty Edwards (ISBN 0-00-711645-4) Maybe give it a go?

Cat
CatSalterArt
CatSalterArt
www.catsalter.co.uk
graphgraph

You make a good point Cat about copying. When I was a child, I used to copy things all the time. My parents used to tell me off for it but actually, I think I learned a huge amount from doing this.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com

I remember being told by an artist and teacher a long time ago that if you have " it " in you and use it ....you will get to the same place with formal or informal study.

they said one thing about self learning is you stay more to your own style and less of the teacher.
On the other hand you do learn from all the history and exposure of ideas and techniques in a formal program.

In the end the medium teaches so much. practice seems to be the key...and willingness to stretch your mind and heart and experiment and challenge yourself. jmo
CarolChretien
CarolChretien
www.carolchretien.com
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1...456...16
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.