Total Art Soul - for artists

" Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. "
Dr. Seuss
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12345
TOPIC: ACEO's
ACEO's 9 Years, 6 Months ago  
One of my ACEO's has been featured bit.ly/b14ORY which leads me to ask the question if anyone else here does ACEOs. I haven't done many as I'm not sure how collected they really are. I have sold a few but it seems like such a lot of work for not a lot of return!
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Last Edit: 2010/03/26 09:01 By Cathy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Re:ACEO's 9 Years, 6 Months ago  
Hi! Yes, I have created and sold a lot of ACEO's! Because they are a less expensive way of collecting original artwork, there are many people who collect them.

I sell more ACEO's than I do large paintings online. I alternate between large paintings, and then I go into a spurt of ACEO painting.

They are a lot of work... and no... I don't think you get paid for the amount of work they often take (some can take as much time as a larger painting!) But they are fun and addictive and I continually find myself returning to them!

I saw your marble ACEO - very nice!

I also have my own collection of ACEO's - some I have bought, many I have traded - which really makes them ATC's

I actually, just finished a large painting, and last night, I sketched out 3 ACEO ideas. It helps me to have several different projects to work on - depending on how I'm feeling that day
TheCreatorsPalette
TheCreatorsPalette
thecreatorspalette.etsy.com
graphgraph
\\\\\\\"Some people complain that God put thorns on roses. Others thank him for putting roses on thorns\\\\\\\" ~unknown

That's really interesting, thank you. I do find them fun but I'm used to working very large paintings so I find it a bit restrictive. I guess I should just get used to it and think of it as another discipline.

Do you find that people prefer rounded corners or simple rectangular card? I just wonder how people frame these, if at all and if having rounded corners affects this. I have a whole stack and I'm wondering if I should continue to use them.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com

Up until about 18 months ago I was doing a lot of ACEOs. There seemed to be a craze for them and I created exactly 200 in total. They all sold via ebay, some went for over £100, many for close to that but the craze suddenly dwindled until they were only fetching perhaps £10-£12, so I stopped doing them after 200 although I still have some ACEO prints which I listed in my Etsy shop. Good while it lasted, I found the time and trouble wasn't worth it in the end. I also found that it was affecting the way I paint larger work, getting too bogged down and fiddly.

I would think people prefer them with proper corners, there are lots of ways to display them and those that have them framed usually have them done in multi-aperture mounts. Rounded corners would reduce the size even further for mounting (just my opinion, could be wrong)

Someone also suggested to me that it was devaluing my other work. I don't necessarily agree with that but I don't think I'll be doing any more.
MightyFineArt
MightyFineArt
www.mightyfineart.co.uk
graphgraph
If you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

www.mightyfineart.co.uk

Thanks Peter. I'm really not sure. I priced mine at $12 each so it really wasn't worth it. That seemed to be the price most people were charging. Once though, at a show I did, a lady saw them (I had about 8 at the time) and she asked me what they were. I explained and she bought 6! Clearly she liked the idea.

I don't know how you managed to do 200. You really put me to shame. I need to start working much harder.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com

Cathy, I have some ATC's that were made with rounded corners, but personally I prefer straight edge corners. If someone wants to mat and frame them (I have sold some framed) rounded corners make that harder.

ATC's - Artist Trading Cards have been around for ages!!! Many of the Masters created them and would trade with each other at art exhibitions! So creating them is definitely not degrading your art!!!

It wasn't until some artists decided they would try to sell them that they were called "ACEO's". The name had to be changed or the movement that still supports ATC's would have been upset because ATC's are always traded - never sold. So a group of artists gathered on eBay and renamed sellable ATC's, ACEO's.

They were - and still are many collectors who will pay good money for an ACEO. The demand has not dwindled... it's eBay that caused the decline of sales .... and the economy that has affected how much a collector will spend.

I have never been into going with the fads.... for a while there were buyers spending hundreds for "crow" ACEO's - there was the mermaid fad... the cat fad... the horse fad... the hamster fad...

I am not true to myself as an artist when I create for the fads.

But my ACEO's still sell. I have remained connected with one eBAy ACEO group though I rarely list on eBay these days. I'm involved with a group on Etsy and sell most of my ACEO's there. I tend to ask $8-$15 depending on the style and time it took me to paint. Mine are watercolor and don't take as much material and time as those who paint with acrylic or oil. And I feel that is appropriate for the time I put in to them.

There is a whole society out there that produces miniature art. ACEO's are not necessarily miniature art - but often miniature painting techniques are employed, therefore they are miniature!

Mine aren't. But I find that many techniques I have learned to employ in my ACEO's have been very helpful when I paint larger!

So... there's my "plug" for ACEO's. I love collecting them and I love creating them... but not all the time (as you can see from my gallery!)

~Melanie
TheCreatorsPalette
TheCreatorsPalette
thecreatorspalette.etsy.com
graphgraph
\\\\\\\"Some people complain that God put thorns on roses. Others thank him for putting roses on thorns\\\\\\\" ~unknown

Go to topPage: 12345
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.