Total Art Soul - for artists

" If I knew what I was doing, I'd have quit by now "
(unknown)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

How do you get sales?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: How do you get sales?
How do you get sales? 9 Years, 5 Months ago  
Hi dear Painters,

Interested to know, if you sell your work, how do you get sales?

Is it through the internet, Twitter, Facebook, galleries or craft fairs? I love painting but am not very good at getting out there and marketing myself!

Do any of you use the online selling sites like Folksy, Etsy and Dawanda? Do you have your work up on Imagekind or Redbubble? There are so many choices now!

It is all very well painting all day but there comes a time when the house walls cannot hold any more work! : )

Would be really interested to hear how others get on with selling work and if they have any tips for all of us.......
Cat
CatSalterArt
CatSalterArt
www.catsalter.co.uk
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How do you get sales? 9 Years, 5 Months ago  
I'd like to direct you to this blog post of mine I did a while back which contains some of my thoughts and methods of selling. peter-williams-art.blogspot.com/2010/01/selling-your-art.html
This of course is relevant to the UK really but may trigger ideas elsewhere.

This year I also resolved to make much more effort to get out into the real world via exhibitions, craft fairs and the like. At these events I will still be working hard at promoting my own website which to me is the most important part of my business. I can't stress this enough. Some online galleries will work for you, others may not and the same goes for real world venues. All of these can be tried, exploited or ditched if they don't do well but your website will be a constant and must be the nucleus of your selling campaign.

I am constantly thinking up promotional ideas. I recently put adverts in a local dog grooming parlour to attract pet portrait commissions. I have one in a military publication that goes out to our troops all around the world plus their families this year, to try to attract portrait commissions. Enter contests and submit articles to small publications which are often looking for things to fill out a few paragraphs. You'll be surprised at the response sometimes. Where do the people that might buy your art hang out? Picking up their kids from school there is always a crowd. So put up the occasional flyer on a convenient lamp post or a nearby shop window. The list goes on....be creative!
MightyFineArt
MightyFineArt
www.mightyfineart.co.uk
graphgraph
If you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

www.mightyfineart.co.uk

Sales,sales,sales.

Unfortunately you must put as much effort in doing legwork as you do in the creation of your work.
Expression is a nut hard world to inhabit.
It drove Jackson Pollock back to drink,as his inner expressions
battled stardom.
Now after he is long gone his canvases prove his worth and his vision.
This is only one example of the world in which we create as artists.

I have won awards and accolades from my peers,yet my sales over my lifetime have been spotty.
I really can't complain even if I have struggled at times to make ends meet.
Don't give up!
We really do have our rewards,,,and it is in what we do.

regards

James
blaach
blaach
graphgraph

My biggest tip that I can give is that almost all of the paintings I have sold have been to people I have had contact with. They know me personally or we've had some kind of conversation. I have only sold 2 paintings online to people I know nothing about. I think this is crucial to know and leads me to agree with Peter. You absolutely have to get out there in the real world. You cannot beat personal contact. Your website is a great tool to direct people to your entire portfolio but they're not likely to be so interested if they have never met you.

Making yourself interesting as a person is also half the battle. When I look at successful artists, they almost always have a 'story'. 'I was in a car crash which changed my life' etc. etc. It gives a personal glimpse which people love.

To pick up on Blaach, your work should be your best. I've seen many artists spend so much time marketing and they're work isn't all that. I often think if only they spent more time drawing and painting, then maybe they would sell! So, it's a balancing act. You have to put yourself out there but find the time to improve your work.

As for selling online, I'm not sure any particular site is better than any other. I think it's a good idea to spread yourself over the internet a bit but I don't think you need to spend 24/7 on it. I used to be a bit obsessive about it but now I've pulled back from it, I still get the same results as before.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Thanks, there are some really good ideas here! I know that nothing beats hard work and getting out there and showing your work to galleries etc. You cannot sit back at home at hide behind the internet. People are not just buying your paintings because the like the look of them or because they 'go' with their decor, they also buy into you as an artist.

Like Cathy, most of the sales I have done have been to people who know me which goes to prove the above statement.

Cat
CatSalterArt
CatSalterArt
www.catsalter.co.uk
graphgraph

I do agree, that you have to go out and sell yourself.
Before Jerry retired, and before the auto companies went south, he would take a photo album to work and show off my stuff. I not only sold stuff that was already painted, I also got a lot of commisions.
Joining the local art community also helps. I was in an Art Guild for a while, but had to drop out because of family obligations conflicting with Guild obligations.

I also had a neighbor come over to my house at walk straight up to my Van Etton Creek painting, which was on my living room wall and tell me she was there to buy it. I dusted it off and sold it to her. *G*
sandpiperrose
sandpiperrose
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1234
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.