Total Art Soul - for artists

" If I knew what I was doing, I'd have quit by now "
(unknown)
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: second shop angst
second shop angst 9 Years, 7 Months ago  
Hello all,
I am considering opening a second shop for my artwork but it poses a lot more practical problems than our jewellerys site. Could anyone offer some advice, as I've only sold at fairs thus far.
How to avoid copyright theft? I remember some talk about not posting images above a certain size helping since it then doesn't print well?
Also, how on earth do you go about posting a 20 x 16" framed drawing, especially overseas? I'm thinking prints may be the way to go, but do they sell unframed?
Lastly, any suggestions on outlets? Etsy is cheap but then so is the average spend on there, anyone had success elsewhere?

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks guys,
Karen
gringrimaceandsqueak
gringrimaceandsqueak
www.etsy.com/shop/DrawingInDark
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:second shop angst 9 Years, 7 Months ago  
Gosh, I wish I could help more, but one thing you might want to look in to is a watermarking service like Digimarc. It helps protect your images at least the ones you post online. I don't know a thing about distribution, but I do know that sites like www.wholesalecrafts.com might be something worth looking in to for you. a second shop...oh man....I bet there are more than twice the headaches.....
Mickeyartglass
Mickeyartglass
www.mickeyartglass.blogspot.com
graphgraph

Gosh, I wish I could help more, but one thing you might want to look in to is a watermarking service like Digimarc. It helps protect your images at least the ones you post online. I don't know a thing about distribution, but I do know that sites like www.wholesalecrafts.com might be something worth looking in to for you. a second shop...oh man....I bet there are more than twice the headaches.....
Mickeyartglass
Mickeyartglass
www.mickeyartglass.blogspot.com
graphgraph

Thanks Mickey,
I've been avoiding the very idea since I already spend half my life at the computer but as I've started drawing again, we either have to sell some stuff or move into a tent in the garden soon
Will check out the watermark thing, not so fussed about my regular work but I may add some of the demons later which I am precious about

Karen
gringrimaceandsqueak
gringrimaceandsqueak
graphgraph

I've had 3 shops! One was for art materials and the other for home decorations. I have just decided to knock this one on the head too. I really want to concentrate on just my painting.

I've personally had most success on Etsy but I do think it depends what you're selling. My art doesn't do nearly as well as my home decorations. I also found that the smaller and lower priced items did better.

One seriously important thing is that you must send everything with insurance and proof of shipping. Even when I have given people the choice, they have almost always opted for the economy service then then when things have not arrived quickly, they want to make claims. It's been a real headache in the past so now I send nothing without insurance.

It is hard work to run more than 1 shop but I found that even when I didn't do much marketing on Etsy, people still found me. Hope some of this helps.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Three? You must have an extra day in the week

That was all very helpful, thankyou- another question: how do you organise your insurance if you don't mind my asking. Royal mail and parcelforce have all said that our masks don't come under any category they are prepared to insure which is a bit of a worry!

We've been looking at couriers but are sure there must be a sensible option out there?

Cheers, Karen and Rich
gringrimaceandsqueak
gringrimaceandsqueak
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.