Total Art Soul - for artists

" When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. "
Henry Kaiser
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Good Enough
Re:Good Enough 8 Years, 11 Months ago  
I use my fan page on Facebook to sound out what people think of a new idea, sometimes only one person will reply but sometimes it sparks off a whole new discussion which is great and can be really helpful

Also occassionally I get people request a new item. I go away and price it up, tell them and if they still want it then I make it for them. I kind of guess that if they will pay that price for it then others may well do too.
SarahsFleeces
SarahsFleeces
www.SarahsFleeces.co.uk
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I have let go a lot with what is "good enough" because sometimes my least favorite pieces turn into some of my best sellers. Having an artful career I tend to focus on "sellable" which is much less romantic, but sort of necessary if I want to keep on earning my living with my photography.
brookephoto
brookephoto
www.brookefuller.com
graphgraph
Brooke Fuller Photography
Small Product Photography
www.brookefuller.com

I'm my own worst critic, I think. There are times when I've finished a piece and I'm like My husband is "completely logical" and overanalyzes things...I've stopped taking his "helpful" criticisms to heart.

And yeah, sometimes the pieces I like the least turn out to be the ones people like the best, so I'm like...okay.
ladyrainbow
ladyrainbow
ladyr1218.blogspot.com
graphgraph

I guess I'm the oddball here- I show everything. I love the feedback - negative and positive - which helps me to grow as an artist.
I do have a painting that is my least favorite. As it turns out, it is one of hubby's favorites and also gets a lot of comments at shows. Go figure.
The way I see it, even if someone really doesn't like something I've painted, there's always going to be someone who does.
JenDonald
JenDonald
www.jendonald.com
graphgraph

I'm afraid if I waited for photos to be marked as faves I would not have much of an online portfolio~ many many people look and admire and will always remain lurkers..I've been guilty of this myself loads of times~
I whole heartedly agree with Jen above me there..although I would not be brave enough to post my really poopy work..

That old saying 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is most true when it comes to artwork.

~Deborah
swdesigns
swdesigns
handmadeglassbeads.ca
graphgraph

Re:Good Enough 8 Years, 10 Months ago  
I'm definitely my own worst critic as well...
With my jewellery, if I'm not happy with the finished design, I've been known to pull it apart (several times) and do it over until I am happy.
I can see the benefits to showing everything, as you do Jen.
I will do that with a piece I'm not entirely happy with - wear it and ask the opinion of several friends on how it could be improved. Show it to a limited audience I suppose.
Thankfully, while my friends can be brutal, honest and kind in their critiques!
TashaChawner
Unnamed user

Go to topPage: 123
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.