Total Art Soul - for artists

" People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it "
George Bernard Shaw
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Images need to include XIF data
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Images need to include XIF data
Images need to include XIF data 8 Years, 10 Months ago  
While I would like to put my work on TotalArtSoul, I can't, because the image uploader does two very bad things: It resizes without proper sharpening and it strips all the EXIF data from the file.

I have deliberately and carefully placed contact data and copyright data in files I intend to post on the web. When the site strips that data from the file, no one can know to whom the image belongs. And, of course, dragging and dropping an image is laughably easy.

There is no need to strip the EXIF data. Please advise when your software no longer does so.

Thank you,
Walter Hawn
WalterHawn
WalterHawn
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Images need to include XIF data 8 Years, 10 Months ago  
Cathy/Joe - Is there a size for images below which they won't be resized/resampled/sharpened, and hopefully the EXIF data left intact?

Walter - are you removing all the unnecessary EXIF data - some cameras add a huge amount of 'unnecessary' data. (There was a big argument over this on another site I used, and this was one reason they refused to stop removing the EXIF data. As a compromise they eventually allowed us to specify a copyright statement that would be added back afterwards.
efikim
efikim
www.mikefinley.co.uk
graphgraph
\"Tolerating mediocrity is deadly. It might be the sin that underlies all other sins.\" - Mikaya Heart
Mike Finley Photography
My blogs: Selected Artworks, Words

I think Joe is going to respond in detail about this.

I would like to say though that in my opinion, if someone wants to pinch your image, they will. On RedBubble for instance, they leave the XIF data and they have disabled the right click (as far as I'm aware and from my experience). I still go to RB and use images there as reference material. I never copy anything so I'm not worried about doing this but I'm just saying that it is possible to take a screenprint and use the image that way. I don't think you can safeguard against this.

Also, since there is no global law on the internet, which law should we be applying? We are not based in the US.

Whilst we want to protect our members as much as possible, we make these points so you can be aware that once you put your image on the internet, it is no longer in your total control over what happens to it.

Personally, if someone wants to copy my work, I really don't mind. They'll never be able to do it exactly how I do it anyway since it's a technique I invented. What's more, if say Ikea or another big business decided to use my image without my permission, I would be delighted! I would go to the press and sue the pants off them. Bring it on! lol
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Hi all

I had disabled the EXIF data, as originally the gallery was set up in a different way - having all the EXIF data displayed was rather 'ugly'.

I have made some changes, but I have not enabled all of the EXIF data, just the copyright info mainly. Also I have enabled a higher resolution for images, and now there is different software in place for the resizing function, which should improve the final quality of the processed image.

Having EXIF data cannot protect your images, ever. Disabling the right click feature is pointless, as using the 'print screen' button on a computer keyboard doesn't save any EXIF data, and, of course, the higher the resolution the image is on the web page, all the better for the image thief!

The subject of copyright is actually a very loaded, huge and very 'hot' topic, with many angles to it, and there are already two other threads in this forum about copyright and copyright theft. To be fully objective and to see the 'big picture', one's own needs/aims/etc has to be seen in the light of all the scenarios of what happens regarding copyrights in the real world

First of all, in my (not so?) humble opinion (and actually it is not just my opinion), once you put anything on the internet you have lost any copyright control over it whatsoever. How can you police it? Can you sue someone in some other untouchable/unaccountable country?

Until there is an international 'internet police' force, and it is necessary to use some sort of digital passport to surf the web, the internet will be a virtual 'wild west', where it is every man for himself, unfortunately.

We want to protect our members, if we were unscrupulous it would be easy to just say 'so what'. We always welcome and are open to suggestions and feature requests, we certainly do not behave like Facebook did in claiming copyright (in maybe somewhat devious ways) of members works/images/photos.

We want to nurture our diverse membership and provide a platform that really is a creative community, one that isn't always distracted by the 'in your face' corporate (The Man) philosophies.

I am starting to think that it isn't two things that I/you shouldn't talk about at dinner parties, religion and politics, it is three, religion, politics and copyright. At least maybe I shouldn't.
Joe - admin
Joe - admin
Admin
graphgraph

Cathy, redbubble do not retain the exif data, they remove all the exif data from the image and then add back a user supplied copyright statement. This was pretty much a negotiated compromise after a sometimes acrimonious public debate on their forums. Nor do they disable right click (one disadvantage of this being that it makes it harder for visitors to bookmark a page ... not a good idea if you want people to come back!) They do optionally paste a clear.gif image over your images if you select an option, again this has negligible impact in stopping people copying the image, and has more subtle disadvantages in terms of getting your art mentioned around the internet.

Joe, once you have published something on the internet, unless you have assigned copyright in doing so, you retain the copyright rights and remedies you had before you published it, just as you would if published in a magazine. It may be increasingly difficult to enforce those rights but that's a different issue.
The point about retaining the copyright and contact information in the files isn't just about chasing wrongdoers, its also about allowing those who want to find the original artist to be able to do so. Picture researchers may come across your image in places where someone else has copied them, or on google images, or stumbleupon etc. where they may link back to an outdated uri or to someone else's page, and so the researcher can't contact you through those routes. If there is no internal metadata holding copyright/contact details the work may become an 'orphan work' as far as some (significant!) legal jurisdictions are concerned, and at this point all rights are lost. The concept of 'orphan works' is spreading to other legislations as big business is a much more effective lobbying force than the general public.

postscript
Sorry, I should have added 'Thanks for putting the copyright information back in'! I'll probably eventually get round to re-uploading my images, and adding some more.
Also, if you're interested in more on images, metadata, and the internet, I wrote a couple of articles on this a while back at images and metadata for artists and photographers
efikim
efikim
www.mikefinley.co.uk
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/09/05 13:12 By efikim.
\"Tolerating mediocrity is deadly. It might be the sin that underlies all other sins.\" - Mikaya Heart
Mike Finley Photography
My blogs: Selected Artworks, Words

Thanks efikim. This is all great information.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Go to topPage: 12
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.