Total Art Soul - for artists

" Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement. "
C. S. Lewis
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Challenge?
Re:Challenge? 9 Years, 4 Months ago  
A color challenge sounds cool! It might help break me out of this monochromatic streak I have been on.
subeeds
subeeds
www.artfire.com/users/DancingWindDesigns
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Challenge? 9 Years, 3 Months ago  
I think challenges are great! However, Cathy has already mentioned some things that can drive an admin batty:

1. Lack of activity
2. Appealing themes that would inspire everyone
3. Possible incentive
4. Judging/voting problems

Having experience with a forum that posts regular challenges, I would suggest starting simple by offering general open-ended themes and not worry too much on incentives to participate and/or a judging/voting system. Then you can see where it goes.

It takes alot of effort/time to post regular challenges and is a total drain if no one participates. I'm still somewhat recovering from a bit of a burn-out on another forum because of this exact same thing.
Svartr
Svartr
Insert Something Witty and Intelligent Here
graphgraph

Thanks Svartr. That's very useful information indeed. It kind of confirms the thoughts I had although I am not against the idea in principle. I would still like some more time to think about how it can be best implemented to suit us (the admin) and the members.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

I've encountered some of the same problems as Svatr on a different forum too. The end results of the group/team efforts I'm involved with will be posted on a FB page, and as all the final products will be listed in our Etsy shops we are reasonably motivated.

I have found that if the theme is right it's very interesting to see what comes from so many different disciplines, and how the theme is interpreted.
I'm totally opposed to judging/voting. I'm just tired of dealing with the less appealing side of some people's competitive nature! Anyway judging art/craft is so subjective, and I feel completion of a project should serve as it's own reward!

However I am in favor of a motivating challenge from time to time.
Perhaps participants (and I don't believe all members will join in, so it shouldn't be too many) could be featured on the front page, and we can all promote that in our various ways-FB, Twitter, blogs, even Etsy treasuries etc. This would also serve to advance the exposure of TAS itself.
KarinSF
KarinSF
KarinSF.Etsy.com
graphgraph
When the going gets tough, the tough get knitting!
www.etsy.com/shop/KarinSF

That's not a bad idea Karin. One of the reasons we've not done it before was because of the judging element. We have already taken away the hard sales element from this site because of the competition this causes so I don't want to then insert another element that will do the same thing.

The core membership of this site uses it in the spirit it was intended so maybe this could be worked out. It may be possible to have another gallery for challenges so that you post things relating to a theme, no competition and this is then used on the front page. It would have to be moderated though in case something was uploaded that didn't really fit in. This could also cause problems! lol OK, I'm still thinking!
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

cathy wrote:
That's not a bad idea Karin. One of the reasons we've not done it before was because of the judging element. We have already taken away the hard sales element from this site because of the competition this causes so I don't want to then insert another element that will do the same thing.

The core membership of this site uses it in the spirit it was intended so maybe this could be worked out. It may be possible to have another gallery for challenges so that you post things relating to a theme, no competition and this is then used on the front page. It would have to be moderated though in case something was uploaded that didn't really fit in. This could also cause problems! lol OK, I'm still thinking!

I just pulled my foot out of the mud in another forum that I may leave completely because no one could agree then no one participated. So if there was a challenge I think a posting challenge. Say:

All people thinking Green today post here

All people thinking Blue today post here

All people not thinking at all post here

All people want paint on there hands today post here

and on and on whatever.

That would allow participation without force, and there would be a place perhaps for everyone to add something they like from other artisans or themselves,however it is set up.

Just throwing it out there, I am happy to participate anyway is decided, provided I dont have to dedicate hours hunting something down. Which I wouldnt do, so then I wouldnt participate, but others may have some fun.
mooaany
mooaany
baublez.themooaany.com
graphgraph
If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?
George Carlin

Go to topPage: 1234
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.