Total Art Soul - for artists

" You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. "
C. S. Lewis
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Events and the Economy
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Events and the Economy
Re:Events and the Economy 9 Years ago  
Zapplications.org is free and you can do a simular search. I have never lost a lot of money at a show but they do have a lot of up front costs. I have also made money at them. I consider shows a part of my marketing plan. It is a great forum to meet and greet people and see their reaction to my work/presentation. Just like posting things on facebook and measuring the level of reaction. The show are much more accurate because conversations are more fluid and you can easedrop. Being a flat artist almost all of my show sales have been from people seeing my work for the second time or they take my card and contact me after looking at it repeatedly on my website. Even on my website (www.jmbishopphotography.com) I do not have a shopping cart. I do it through conversations on the phone or via email like we were at a show. Artist need to be fluid in a bad economy. We will need to start taking on the 'customer is always right' attitude and lloking for new venues to ride out this time.
jmbishop
jmbishop
jmbishopphotography.com
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cathy, coincidentally I have just been watching a lecture on TED.com by Professor Martin Seligman where he talks about the current state of psychology. Essentially, he says that psychology has moved on from curing mental illnesses to helping people find happiness. Of course this is a gross simplification, but happy people are those who seek and develop lasting relationships with others. Lasting happiness results from altruistic deeds, but I think I already knew that.

In building online relationships with like-minded artists through Total Art Soul, and by providing a free service to all-comers, you are essentially doing something altruistic. But, of course, you realise that you need to be face-to-face with real people in order to benefit fully. So, as Mickey advises, a physical move may result in a good outcome, particularly if you are accepted by a group of friendly artists.

Strange that you have been accepted by neighbours in other parts of France, but not in your current hameau. Unlike a majority of Anglophones, I have enjoyed my lengthy sejours in France, and find the French quite delightful in general.

As for staying true to myself and having integrity as an artist -- I'll need to think more about that. It's one thing to be judged by other artists at an exhibition, and another to be judged by the market. I admit I crave feedback about my work, but it must be honest and independent. It may also be essential to heed the advice of others and to paint what the market dictates, particularly when times are tough. However, I would rather not hear the phrase "But it's fashionable".

www.ted.com/talks/martin_seligman_on_the...e_of_psychology.html
Daiwynn
Unnamed user

Thanks guys! That's really useful info. I absolutely know I need to move so I'm pulling out all the stops on that one. Being face to face in my opinion, as I'm always stating, is for me the only way to make a good living.

As for fitting in Daiwynn, we really are in the stick here, we're vegetarians who meditate and we live next to beef farmers who hunt and kill everything they see. It's not difficult to see why they would find us strange! Having said this, we bake them pies and they give us vegetables and we help each other with other things. We are quite neighbourly with each other but that's where it ends.

I was doing 'commercial' art when I was an interior designer and I felt stifled by it. The freedom that I feel now is wonderful and I don't think I want to give it up again. I know we have to eat but I make home decorations when times are really bad rather than compromise my art.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

linda - thanks for sharing your experience, it is so helpful to me. i have been considering shows for a year now but am very hesitant to jump in. i'm starting out in a new location now, so i think i will look into joining some local groups here. did you experience any negative competition partnering with other local artists of the same genre?

mickey - so good to hear your doing well this year and seeing a positive swing in the economy.
Variya
Variya
www.variyajewelry.blogspot.com
graphgraph

Great topic,

just a little bit of news that may be valid for some of the artists on here- we cant do shows at the minute because we're moving at some point but I use the shows as a sort of weather vane to see which way the wind is blowing.

In the UK, the greetings card market is worth a fortune, and is doing so well it has its own trade show in London, now in its second year. For artists looking to get a bit of cash in to get started its a good beginning. You can work through an agent, direct with the publishers or if doing fairs, print/make yor own.

If someone wants a painting you wont lose a sale because they bought the card instead, usually they will take a card as well but if you do happen to pick the wrong fair/weekend, its something that always sells, and unlike a business card, somebody will have it propped up on the mantlepiece for a week or two in full view. Just dont forget to print your contact details on the back

Happy exhibiting,
Karen and Rich
gringrimaceandsqueak
gringrimaceandsqueak
www.etsy.com/shop/DrawingInDark
graphgraph

Re:Events and the Economy 8 Years, 11 Months ago  
I normally travel the powwow trail, but I have had to cut back quite a bit due to economy and such. So I have a few that I stick with no matter what. But I am learning more how to beat the economy at it's own game.

Be sure to have contact info available. Even if you don't have a sale that day, a biz card may help you get a sale during the holiday season.

If it possible, try to work on your craft while sitting there. I have had people watch me working on items...and even sold a few times as I placed the hook in the second earring ! Literally out of my hands..LOL!!

Start slow with local exposure. Though flea markets are not really the best venue for your crafts (Very frustrating in fact ) it can help. I live in the Smokey Mountain area of Tennessee - tourists trap central. When I'm not on powwow, I am at a local flea market on the week ends. Being there, I have sold to travelers and just got a whole sale job for dream catchers. And yes, I even create while I'm sitting there, too. Many times I will leave with more product than I came with doing this. but I also put out fliers for events that I will be attending that are more of my 'real' venue. So what sales I don't make at flea market, I might make at these other events.

I hope that advise helps others a little bit.
WigWamCrafts
WigWamCrafts
www.SpiritEyes.etsy.com
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.