Total Art Soul - for artists

" Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. "
Pablo Picasso
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Back to Clay
Back to Clay 8 Years, 8 Months ago  
My background is production pottery, souvenir items for over 20 years. I hated it, being a production machine, from the get go but always appreciated what clay could do. I did not touch clay for a long time after ending my business but last year bought a few bags of clay and have been sculpting with it. Clay does not have to be used to make a mug or plate always... smile.
Pottery is a tough one to market though. I have met a zillion potters while doing craft shows. One thing that made my business successful it that I recognized that like it or not, CUTE SELLS as does anything that you can PERSONALIZE. Just a hint to those that might be trying to make it with pottery.
KathysArt
KathysArt
www.kathyostman-magnusen.com
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Back to Clay 8 Years, 8 Months ago  
Good advice kathy. We've had this conversation before, cute sure does sell. It seems more so than ever.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Re:Back to Clay 8 Years, 3 Months ago  
From talking to buyers I think their biggest concern is actually getting whatever it is they've ordered to arrive in one piece. I tend to think thats whats so difficult about it to sell, being able to reassure buyers is a huge part of selling ceramics.

Usually though I've found when people have tried it they do come back for more.
littlewrenpottery
littlewrenpottery
www.littlewrenpottery.co.uk
graphgraph

Yes, that must be a huge problem for you ceramics artists. You must be experts at packing!
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

lol yeah, Ive heard some ceramic artists do whats called 'double boxing'. I tend to just follow Royal Mail's guidelines for appropriate packing...
littlewrenpottery
littlewrenpottery
www.littlewrenpottery.co.uk
graphgraph

Re:Back to Clay-PACKING IT 8 Years, 3 Months ago  
I used to ship 500-2K mugs and misc stuff per week. In the 20 years I did pottery I tried everything under the sun from hay to peanuts. The best and final way I packed and still consider with anything I ship it the way wine is shipped. I wound up getting rolls of corregated (sp?) cardboad, the height of my boxes, cut pieces to wind around an object twice,taped it, then fit them all together, creating strength from top to bottom. While it is true the box could have been hit by the side, this rarely happened and I almost never got any damage, shipping to most US National Parks, Disneyland, JC Penny's, and 1K mom and pop stores. I am not sure I explained this well enough.. that is off the top of my head.
KathysArt
KathysArt
www.kathyostman-magnusen.com
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.