Total Art Soul - for artists

" Art is the proper task of life "
Friedrich Nietzsche
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Please critique my work!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Please critique my work!
Please critique my work! 8 Years, 10 Months ago  
Please go to my profile> gallery, and look over some of my work. I work in both pencil, and paints, but prefer pencil. How do you think I could improve?
Sketch Pad
Sketch Pad
www.ezsketchpad.blogspot.com
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Check out my art blog! ezsketchpad.blogspot.com/

Re: Please critique my work! 8 Years, 10 Months ago  
Hi Sketch Pad. On just 4 images it's a little difficult but I'll try to say something constructive. I think you could work on defining the objects a bit more, ie work on the shading to make it clearer that one is in front or sitting on a table or whatever. For example, your painting in your avatar, the vegetables look like they are floating and not 'sitting' on the table. Your shadows need to come directly from the object, not with a lighter space inbetween.

Generally, in all your works I think you could do much more shading and add more colors to make the subject 'pop' more. On the cat drawing, you have solid lines all around the cat but in reality some of those would be broken where the light hit more. A solid line makes things look a little cartoon like.

It's great that your doing lots of different subjects though, practice is the only way to go. I could do with spending more time drawing myself. Hope some of this helps.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Re:Please critique my work! 8 Years, 10 Months ago  
Cathy, that's sound advice. I agree with all that you've said. I would add that the real way to improve is practice- but also you must always try to draw/paint what you see not what you thinkyou see, therefore keen observation is essential in order to portray a realistic picture.

For example, like Cathy said - the cat drawing is more like a cartoon because of the outline you have given it. Also, I think the old shoes one is proportionally incorrect, as they look as though the two shoes are different lengths! Use a pencil or anything you have to measure the relative distances between each shape (for that is what you are in effect drawing) in the shoe, then transfer the same distance to your drawing/painting surface.

If you are not really bothered about achieving realism, then obviously this is not so important, but even semi-abstract paintings have a degree of technique behind them.

Practice, practice, practice. Keep it up!
Aitch
Aitch
www.helendavison.co.uk
graphgraph

I agree with the previous two critiques.

To really appeal to anybody, there's got to be something outstanding about your drawings.. Honestly, nothing stands out for me.

There is little contrast. Nothing really pops. There is little drama or visual tension in what I see on the computer screen.

Look at other works that really appeal to you, and try to do something that has a similar feel.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you've got to find an "IT" factor -- that hard-to-describe quality that makes a star, as opposed to just another performer.

Of course, my assumption is that you WANT your work to appeal to other people. I assume this is why you asked for feedback, so I'm giving it -- a little more bluntly than the previous two critics, who are being quite nice.

Robert
RobertKernodle
RobertKernodle
robertkernodle.yolasite.com
graphgraph

Thank you everyone for all of this great feedback! I will use all of your advice to try to improve my art.
Sketch Pad
Sketch Pad
www.ezsketchpad.blogspot.com
graphgraph
Check out my art blog! ezsketchpad.blogspot.com/

My thinking when I give a critique is that I want to nurture someone who clearly loves to create.

To add to what Robert said, I get what he means about nothing standing out or it not having that special feel. I took the view that since you were painting 'still life' you were trying to achieve some level of realism and my critique reflects this. If this is what you are doing, then I feel you need to be much more observant like Aitch says in her critique. If on the other hand you want to put your own stamp on your work, you need to find a unique way to present it and maybe use some abstraction.

I'm glad you're raring to go Sketch, it shows real passion.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Go to topPage: 12
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.