Total Art Soul - for artists

" Art is the proper task of life "
Friedrich Nietzsche
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

An attempt at drawing
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234...9
TOPIC: An attempt at drawing
Re:An attempt at drawing 9 Years, 4 Months ago  
OK, this is another attempt. I've decided white cats are out! lol How can I inject light if the animal is white?! I tore my hair out (almost the cat's too!). I've made a pig's ear of the cat's ears and I've managed to get finger marks all over the place. I'm also now becoming somewhat obsessed and I'm even dreaming about drawing hair!

Can you see at the top of his head it's a real mess. Is there any way I can salvage anything from this or shall I just start again? I know what I should have done, I should have planned the hairs better from the start. I didn't press hard enough so it didn't indent the paper enough so then I rubbed out the background to try again but now it's just made a mess.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Last Edit: 2010/05/10 10:58 By Cathy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Well it looks good to me, a big improvement already. I think if you get a very sharp pencil, not too soft, and make light strokes in from the top so that the hair fades into the background a little more at the top, and you don't have such a definite line. Then blend a little with your blending stump, that might help.

The ears, you could gain a little more depth with again a sharp but soft pencil and stroke out between the white hairs, I usually work in a 'V' shape with the darkest tone at the point of the 'V', just to define the hairs a little. The ears are always tricky with all those hairs going in different directions, but if you get them right along with the eyes, then that's the main points of interest taken care of.

I love the composition you have here, it's really attractive and worth a little more time on the fine tuning to get this one perfect. Keep at it Cathy and don't rush it, we pencileers are renowned for endless patience.
MightyFineArt
MightyFineArt
www.mightyfineart.co.uk
graphgraph
If you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

www.mightyfineart.co.uk

Thank you Peter, your advice means a lot. I'm getting a bit obsessed again, this is obviously why I gave up before. It starts to take over my life! lol I'll have another go at the ears. I also found it difficult to work this small, I'm used to making details really big so this is new for me. At least the owner of the cat has said it looks like their cat so that's something! Haha!
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com

Great topic, having used coloured pencils for a while, I recenttly had a go using pencils and can see a lot of room for improvement.
My question is about layering. Some of the darks in Peter's work look incredibly dark and I have a feeling that multiple layers are being applied. Peter, I would love to know what pencils you use in a piece and how you go about applying them?

Cathy, I do really love the composition of the cat in the boat, it is lovely
ChrissyMarie
ChrissyMarie
chrissymaries.blogspot.com
graphgraph

Hello Chrissy. Yes layering is required for the very darks. I use Faber Castell pencils which I find have a good smooth 'lead' with no annoying grainy bits and they seem to give a darker tone than some others I have tried. The softest I use is 8B but mostly 6B for the darks. The paper makes a big difference. The beautifully smooth Bristol board needs a lot more work to get the very dark whereas the Stonehenge paper I also use has a texture and is easier to get really dark tones. A lot of people use watercolour paper for that same reason. I find if I layer up as best I can with a 6B or 8B, then finally go over again with a 3b, this seems to work the pigment right into the paper and give a good, even dark tone. When I finish a piece I spray seal with Giant Fixative which helps to leave a more matt finish. Having said all that, the pencil works are notoriously difficult to photograph or scan, so the contrast sometimes is a bit off and maybe the darks look even darker than they should, but I do try to adjust in PS to get as close as possible to the original tones.

I really went for a good variation of tonal values on this portrait which is done on Bristol board so I really did have to put some serious work into the layering, the bright whites though also make the darks seem darker.
MightyFineArt
MightyFineArt
www.mightyfineart.co.uk
graphgraph
If you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

www.mightyfineart.co.uk

I was wondering how you got it so dark. I tried it on the boat part of my 2nd cat picture but it still didn't look totally black. I'll try and go over it again. I don't have much choice of paper right now so must make do with what I have for now.

I have Derwent graphic pencils. Are those any good?
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com

Go to topPage: 1234...9
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.