Total Art Soul - for artists

" People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it "
George Bernard Shaw
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

An attempt at drawing
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234...9
TOPIC: An attempt at drawing
An attempt at drawing 9 Years, 1 Month ago  
Mightfineart has been inspiring me for some time. I have quite a good set of pencils so I thought I would have a try. I'm a bit disappointed because I feel I worked it a lot but I still don't have that feeling of realism.

The other thing I struggled with was that I had a white background which made things difficult when his white whiskers extended away from his body! Should I have darkened the background too?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Re:An attempt at drawing 9 Years, 1 Month ago  
Not feeling qualified to give advice on this one, I will just say that I think you have captured a great likeness of him!

I'm sure Peter will give you some great advice, however and you can be sure it will be an honest critique he gives you.

It's great to be inspired to do this!
Aitch
Aitch
www.helendavison.co.uk
graphgraph

Thanks Aitch. He's my favorite cat, I know, I shouldn't have favorites but I'm his favorite human so this may be why I was able to capture his character. I'll try the others too and see what happens.
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com

Hi Cathy, I heard my name so thought I'd see what's going on here. Firstly, I don't think you should be disappointed, you have a very good portrait here. I'll give you my critique if you wish......

When I first decide on a subject, one of the things I look for in the reference picture is some interesting contrasts in light, ie. when the subject is lit from one side or above etc. it will throw up some great shadows and highlights which you can use to your advantage to give the portrait depth. Look at my drawing 'Pride' to see what I mean.

In your drawing you are looking straight at the subject and the light appears to be fairly even all over, so it would be difficult to get that effect.

Regarding the whiskers, this again takes a bit of advanced planning. Personally, if I am drawing a furry creature then I like to put in a background to enable the whiskers, shaggy hairs and reflected light to show up. So if you look at my recent tiger portrait 'A Shadow Falls' you will see the background is dark where I want to show some white whiskers or fur, and lighter where I want some dark fur.

I use a misty swirly effect but you could have anything, it's all in the planning.

A tip when drawing fur, I use a stylo do pre-draw the whiskers and some fur. This consists of a handle with a prong sticking out from each end which has a blunt smooth point to it. This will indent the paper so that when you then shade over lightly with your pencil, the whiskers will show through white. I also use a very sharp hard pencil (6H) for the same purpose for finer hair.

I know others use a spent biro (make sure it really is empty). I sometimes also use this technique on the eyes to get the striations in the pupil.

It's also nice to have lost edges where the light strikes the coat. If you blend the pencil with a tortillon of rolled up paper and fade it out toward the light, use a putty rubber to make some marks into the background to give the impression of hair.

So in summary, you have a lovely drawing, the eyes are particularly good. The whiskers and white hairs could be improved I think as above. I think you could get more life and contrast by using lighting effects to create shadows and highlights (this doesn't need to be on the reference, you can add it as you see fit) but overall you've done a good job. I mean look at it, it's lovely. I think with pencil work because it's a bit intense while you are working, you will appreciate your creation more after a while away from it.

This is only my personal opinion, others may have different ideas and techniques to add, but I hope this in some way helps you with your next creation. Another thing I find is that if I don't draw for a few weeks I lose the knack for a while until I get going again. So you need to knock out one of these at least once a fortnight to hone your skills
MightyFineArt
MightyFineArt
www.mightyfineart.co.uk
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/05/07 00:54 By MightyFineArt.
If you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

www.mightyfineart.co.uk

Oh wow, that's such great feedback. Thanks so much. I've really learned a lot. Just some simple tips can really make all the difference. I've always struggled injecting light, also in my paintings. I thought if I went back to drawing in black and white, I may start to think about it more. I do try and have lost edges but I'm always too cautious I think. I will keep trying. You've got me itching to get back to it now. Big kiss right on the end of your nose! lol
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com

There you go, I knew he'd be a big help! Invaluable, he is!
Aitch
Aitch
www.helendavison.co.uk
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1234...9
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.