Total Art Soul - for artists

" Art is the proper task of life "
Friedrich Nietzsche
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

[GIMP] Full Signature Tutorial
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: [GIMP] Full Signature Tutorial
[GIMP] Full Signature Tutorial 9 Years, 3 Months ago  
Medium difficulty ^^;
id like to note that i use a dutch GIMP, so sorry if i use any wrong terms. but since this is for people who know their way around GIMP already, this shouldnt be much of a problem for you guys

the reason why im making this tutorial is cuz ive been asked to explain how i made this a few times by now on a different forum. and since i have yet to make any sig tut contributions, why not make it here as well ^^

this is what ill be making:

for those who have problems reading the text:
Music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
... until the end
---
The Doors

anyway, lets start with the background.

* Make a QBist pattern
Filters < Render < Pattern < Qbist
Click on one of the options you get until you see something you like. Go with something smooth and stuff. Click OK.

* Now to change the colour of it. I took a lot of steps to get where i wanted to -- a golden yellow BG.
If you're not interested in taking a lot of steps, here is what you usually do:
- Duplicate your layer
Layer < Duplicate Layer (or: right-click the layer on the layers window-- the thing with the small layer images in it, and select Duplicate)
-Make a Gradient Map
Choose two colours: click on your current foreground colour (probably black) and select a colour of your liking. Do the same with the Background colour (white when neutral).
Or a Gradient: In the toolbox, select the lil box that has a black-to-white grading. Choose one you like (i like Golden).
Then: Colours < Maps < Gradient Maps
-Play around with layer settings. Colour or Hue work best, usually.
Layer settings are found on top on your Layers window. Theres a slide bar that sets your opacity of your layer, and a name. When neutral, it should say 'Normal'. Click it and play around with the several options you find underneath.

If you dont care for those few extra layers, here is what i did:
-Duplicate Layer
-Gradient Map (Yellow-Orange gradient option)
Set that layer to screen 100%
-New from visible:
Layer < New from visible (or: right-click your top layer in your Layers window and click New from visible)
-Mirror the new layer horizontally and set it to Grain Extract (if thats the proper term): The mirror option is found in your Toolbox window. You can choose between horizontal and vertical in your Toolbox Options window.
-New from visible again
-Gradient Map again (Golden)
Set it to Hue 100%
-New from visible again
Set it to Hard Light 100%
-To get rid of any and all rough edges to the image, do a Gaus. Blur
Filters < Blur < Gaus. Blur
Set it to Lighten or Darken Only 100%

Now, to break the smoothness just a little:
-New Layer
-Use a few Smudge Effect brushes on Black (maybe google GIMP Smudge Brushes)
Soft Light 40%
-New layer -- Again Smudge Effect brushes, but on Yellow.
Grain Merge 30%
-New Layer -- same brushes, same colour, different place
Multiply 30%

Almost done now with the BG:
-On a new layer, place a few Spark Brush spots (The bright yellow brush with random sizes)
-Duplicate it
-Desaturate the original: Colours < Desaturate
Colorify the second: Colours < Colorify (Bright pastel yellow in my case)
First one on 40% - second on Hue 100%

Okay, so far for the BG. Now lets move on to the Image youll put on it
-To get a nice, clean render (the person/object), get an image you want to use, and take your Paths tool. Now, i dont really like to fiddle around with first placing your dots (Anchors) and then trying to make it curve just right, so i just place a lot of anchors to get a smooth image still.
Anyway, place anchors all around your image's shape. When your done, click the "Path to selection" button in your Options window. Invert the selection you get (Ctrl+i) and press Delete. Now youve got a nice render
Paste it as a new layer.
Right-click canvas < Paste as < New layer
-Resize it: Right-click the new layer in your Layers window, and select Resize (or something) and select the size you prefer.
Place it somewhere you like (preferably on one of the four focal points. iow, somewhere close to either one of the corners).

Now we'll make it blend a bit better with the background.
-Duplicate it till you have 4 layers of the render
-First on Hard Light, second on Grain Merge, third on Screen, fourth on Normal
60% - 60% - 60% and the last between 70 and 90%

(yes, i realise its on the opposite side of the result. happens when you fiddle too much and realise you like it better on the other side)

Now for the flowing sparkles
Take your Splatter Brushes. If you dont have any downloaded yet, google some. See the little slide bar under your brush list? slide it till you get around and about 84. Thats the spacing that will be put between each splatter as you move your cursor. Youll need this for what we'll do next to work decently:
Click on your Pencil button in your Toolbox. On the screen with Toolbox Options, below theres the option "use colour from gradient". Check that option and choose the Rainbow Pastels gradient.
Start creating a flowing line with several of your Splatter Brushes on that same spacing of +/- 84. Youll see that, as you brush, the colours change. Theyre all colour from the Pastels. Handy, no?
Anyway, create your flow, and erase parts you dont like.

now, this isnt quite right yet. so lets fool around with that Splatter Layer to make it glowy:
So you have your flowing layer. Duplicate it twice
-On the original one, you put a Gaus. Blur. Around and about 15 seems right.
Do the same with the duplicates, but at 20 and 55.
Play around with the opacity and mode of each layer until you find something you like. You may or may not want to make more duplicates of any layer to get some nice sparkly shine.
-To give it the flow it needs, use some Odysee brushes. these have nice lines that are perfect for adding flow (and the straighter ones are great for rays of light, as well). Again, if you dont have those, google either Odysee brushes, or search for brushes that can create flowing lines.
So get yourself a pastel-like blue colour. Create some flow with the brushes and set the layer to Grain Merge.

(yeah, this is where i mirrored my image. looks better on the left, doesnt it?)

As you can see, were almost done now
So, to finish it up, just add a nice border.
-New Layer
-Select your border
Select all (ctrl A) < Select < Edge < Enter size (3 pixels)
-Select your gradient option. I went with Flare Glow Radial 1
In your options window, click on your Shape option and set it to Shape (corners) .... or something like that.
Now just click your mouse and youre done
Set the layer to Multiply 100%

Enter your text and your done!

(please give feedback to my image and tutorial. its the first full sig tutorial ive done and was kinda unsure about it all xD)
EpicLunatic
EpicLunatic
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2010/03/26 22:15 By EpicLunatic.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:[GIMP] Full Signature Tutorial 9 Years, 3 Months ago  
This looks great - it might be a bit advanced for me though. I'm still trying to figure out how to put a new image on to a background. I can resize, mess with the colours, put some of the special effects on and add text but that's about it. Have you done any tutorials for more beginner level? I think it's the layering I need to get to grips with.
Tialys
Tialys
www.thetialys.wordpress.com
graphgraph

Re:[GIMP] Full Signature Tutorial 9 Years, 3 Months ago  
Whoa! This is a very in depth tutorial. Thanks so much for posting it here. I'm with Tialys on this one, not much of a clue when it comes to things like this so I take my hat off to anyone who can do this!
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

Re:[GIMP] Full Signature Tutorial 9 Years, 2 Months ago  
Greets and welcome, EpicLunatic! I recognise you from GD
(I'm Damascus over there, BTW - and wife to Darth_Gimp)

Nice to see you sharing your tutorials over here too, but there's not too many digital peeps on this forum - yet! But please continue to share you work
Svartr
Svartr
Insert Something Witty and Intelligent Here
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/03/23 19:24 By Svartr.

We did have quite a few but now they seem to have dropped under the radar again! Come out wherever you are!
Cathy
Cathy
www.cathysavels.com
graph
Gender: Female Cathy Savels - Artist Location: France Birthday: 09/27
Mixed Media Artist
www.cathysavels.com
Co-Creator of Total Art Soul

cathy wrote:
We did have quite a few but now they seem to have dropped under the radar again! Come out wherever you are!

Awww, come on out you digital peeps
Svartr
Svartr
Insert Something Witty and Intelligent Here
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
home
blog
forum
gallery
members
login

badge

Copy the code below to add this badge to your site:-

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to our site blogs here:-

Main Site Blog

Members' Blogs

Banner
Banner

© Design by Biro Design

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.